In 2015, we will be holding elections to determine the new Directors for the SGLTG Board.
Here are a few things you need to know: In order to nominate someone for a Director position, run for a Director position, or vote, you must be a current, dues-paying member of the club. Please use the Registration link in the navigation to register as a member and submit your 2015 dues.
Nominations must be made by Jan 12, 2015. Nominations for the Director positions will be available from this page for all logged-in registered members. We will have a leadership meeting on Monday, January 12 at Teddy’s to formalize nominations.
Voting will take place on Feb 9, 2015. You will be able to vote in person or by proxy; you can designate a proxy voter to vote for you during elections by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know who you want to designate.
Nominations are now CLOSED. Complete list of candidates and their statements are now available:
Laura Hmelo– withdrawn
For more details, you can access the full SGLTG Bylaws here. Here are the Articles and Sections relevant to the elections process:
From the Bylaws:
Section 1. Number. The affairs of this organization shall be governed by the Board of Directors composed of a minimum of five (5) and a maximum of ten (10) members The number of Directors may be changed by a vote of the members at any annual or special meeting; provided, however, that no such change shall operate to extend or curtail the term of any elected Director.
Section 2. Election of Directors. The elected Directors shall be elected at SGLTG’s annual meeting with a quorum present, or by means of an electronic voting system. Each candidate for Director shall have the opportunity to submit a statement in writing to the membership. No person shall be eligible to be elected to the Board of Directors unless he/she has Member Dues paid current and has been a member of SGLTG as defined in Article III for at least one year unless unanimously approved by the current Board of Directors. All qualified members may be listed on the election ballot. If there are more candidates than the required number of Director positions up for election, then the number of members receiving the most votes shall be the elected Directors. If there are fewer candidates than the required number of Director positions up for election, no member shall be elected to the Board of Directors unless such member has received at least a majority vote of the quorum.
Section 3. Powers and Duties of the Directors.
Each Director shall serve as an officer of SGLTG with the powers and duties accorded each officer by Article VI of these Bylaws. The Board of Directors shall have all powers and duties necessary for the administration of the affairs of SGLTG. It shall be the duty of each at-large Director to serve as Chair or Co-chair of at least one of the Club’s committees. The powers and duties of the Board of Directors shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
• To ensure that SGLTG is primarily a non-profit athletic and social organization available to all adults in the Seattle, WA. metropolitan area who wish to participate and/or compete in triathlons or other multisport events;
• To provide for the establishment of and collection of membership dues and special assessments in accordance with Article VIII;
• To promulgate and enforce such rules and regulations as may be deemed proper respecting membership rights and obligations, all of which shall be consistent with the provisions of these Bylaws;
• To appoint members of committees as the Board of Directors may from time to time designate; and
• Insofar as permitted by law, to do any other thing that, in the judgment of the Board of Directors will promote the purposes of the SGLTG and is not inconsistent with the provisions of these Bylaws.
Section 4. Election and term of office.
- Each Director shall serve a term of office fixed at two (2) years, except if necessary to comply with subsection (b). The Directors shall hold office until their successors have been elected and hold their first meeting. .
- Terms shall be staggered such that the terms of approximately one-half of the elected Directors shall expire each year.
- For the next election of Directors occurring after December 1, 2011, there shall be two classes of Directors, Class A and Class B and 50% of the Directors shall be designated to each class. Class A Directors shall be elected for a two year terms. In the first election of Directors after December 1, 2011, Class B Directors shall be elected only for a term of one year, but shall be elected for terms of two years for any subsequent election.
- A Director may be re-elected to an additional term, without limit
Section 7. Compensation. No compensation shall be paid to Directors for their services as Directors.
Section 1. Designation. The principal officers of SGLTG shall be a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and a Communications Chair. In its first meeting after the election, the Board of Directors shall designate a Director to serve in each of the principal officer positions.
For more details on the roles of each officer, please see the full SGLTG Bylaws here .